Moraine State Park. Next to a fair sized lake.
Cold, blustery. First race of 2016.
I did horribly. I started slowly, ran hard but I just wasn’t feeling it.
I paced against three groups. One was a pair of young women. I never caught them.
The other was a young man, I never caught him, lost him at the 2.5 mile mark as he disappeared in front of me.
Last was a nice young family. They passed me at the three mile mark as did some dude I never even saw was behind me.
The path was mostly dirt trails. A nasty little flight of woodland stairs were hard on the knees, there were at least three slippery wooden footbridges.
The only failing, for its first inaugural run was that they ran out of shirts.
One must understand that the shirt… is everything.
How to rate a run:
- Can you find it? (I can tell horror stories)
- Does it start at a reasonable time?
- Does it have adequate parking or is it right off a train line. (I hate buses)
- Do they have official timing?
- Do they have adequate water stations?
- In the winter, do they have hot cocoa or the like at the start?
- Are the staff friendly and helpful? (As we are giving money to your event, you should be nice)
- Are the turns adequately marked so you don’t get lost?
- Do they have a nice bling bag?
- DO THEY HAVE ENOUGH RACE SHIRTS!!!